Friday, June 28, 2013

Journey!

I worked with my little guy Journey today. First training session he wasn't apprehensive about and the first time I worked on attention with him. Journey had distemper as a pup and has some coordination and eyesight issues from it. Trying to catch his eyes looking at me was tough today for many reasons. I realized he physically has trouble looking in your eyes. When he tries to hold eye contact for just a second or two, his eyes move back and for very rapidly and he then bobs his head. I have noticed he does this when he has to walk thru doorways or he has to change textures on the floor. Before he steps forward he bobs his head and touches the floor with his chin to build confidence. I patiently wait for him to work thru it and click and treat him for the slightest effort. He is doing really good and is actually walking thru certain areas now very confidently. I was just surprised at the eye contact problem, I know I can help him, he is so loving and sweet and in so many ways he is "special needs" Training was good with him today but it did bring out a lot of emotion a little sad and happy!! Diane would have been proud of the things he did accomplish today! I know she is watching him and smiling!



No comments:

Post a Comment